Some Dangers of the New Age Deception
Satan Transforms Himself into an Angel of Light
The Bible continually warns against that Satan and his demons portray themselves as angels of light in order to deceive the unwary. The New Age religion places unwary participants in contact with dark, demonic spiritual forces. The Bible confirms the reality of the dark side of the spirit world and contains many examples of how demons can eventually possess an individual. In the world we live in, the media perpetrates the demonic lie that that what the Bible describes as the dark side of the spirit world, is in fact sub-divided into two parts: (1) the good side of the dark side (2) the really dark side of the dark side. It is also claimed that the spirit world is a neutral force that can be used either for good or bad.
I have both good and bad news for all those who believe this lie. Here are some excerpts from the Bible.
- There is only one true God – Jehovah (Isa 43:10; 44:6-8; 45:5;21; Psalms 86:10; 1 Cor 8:4-6)
- There is only one Lord – Jesus Christ (1 Cor 8:6)
- God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one God (Deut 6:4)
- The Bible instructs us to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul and strength (Deut 6:5-8)
- The Bible instructs us to uphold God’s commandments and to make them foremost in our lives (Deut 6:7-8)
- All other so-called gods & idols are not gods at all but demons (1 Cor 8:4-6)
- What is offered as worship or sacrifice by pagans (i.e. anyone who is not a Christian), is offered to demons, and not to the true God. (1 Cor 8:4-6)
- The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people who suppress the truth (of God), by their wickedness (Rom 1:18)
- The gospel of Jesus Christ is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes (Rom 1:16-17)
- Jesus Christ alone is The Way, The Truth, and The Life (John 14:6).
- There is no other name under heaven by which man is saved from God’s righteousness judgement on sin (Acts 4:12) Salvation from eternal judgement by God comes through Jesus Christ alone. (John 14:6)
- No man or woman will see the Kingdom of God unless he or she is born of Water and the Holy Spirit (John 3:5-8)
- All of humanity has been instructed by God to repent (of sin & rebellion against God), and be baptised for the forgiveness of sin. (Acts 2:38-40) This is baptism by full immersion and not infant baptism, which is not taught in the Bible.
- When humanity stands before the judgement throne of God, we will be unable to plead ignorance of God’s existence (Rom 1:20)
- The Bible teaches eternal punishment for sin and rebellion against God. However, it is not God’s will that any man or woman should perish, but that all of humanity should inherit eternal life by accepting God’s gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. (Rom 6:23) (John 3:16)
All of humanity has sinned, and fall short of the glory of God. This is because no one is truly good but God. Even our so-called goodness (or self-righteousness) is unacceptable to God. This because we are sinful by nature. The only basis on which we are saved from God’s righteousness judgement of sin is by receiving God’s gift of salvation, through faith in Christ who shed His blood on a cross, for the sin of all people. There is no other basis, method, or name by which we can escape God’s righteous judgement.
New Age Practices are in Opposition to the Teachings of the Bible
New Age teachings and practices are in direct opposition to the Bible and those who participate in new age practices, are progressively delving further and further into the realm of the occult. The occult is broad and varied and there is no end of deception in it because it leads people into believing what the Bible calls “doctrines of demons”, in other words, false doctrines that deny, defy, and contradict the God of the Bible, and ultimately reject salvation through Jesus Christ alone.
In Genesis 3 we see that Satan tricked Eve and Adam into believing the lie that they could become divine beings through secret knowledge (albeit it in defiance of God). This is still the seduction that Satan places before men today; the lie that they can become gods. This is an incredible deception and results in the worship of Satan/Lucifer. In essence the occult is the antithesis of Christianity and involves the worship of Lucifer either directly or indirectly. At the end of the day, Satan does not mind who and what you worship, as long as it is not God. However, he desires to be worshipped as God, and attempts to get worship in any way that he can. Many people in the New Age would probably claim that they do not worship Satan but according to the Bible, what is not offered to the true God is in fact offered to demons. This is simply an inescapable fact.
New Age Beliefs and Practices result in extreme idolatry and blasphemy – the worship of self as god
But there is another form of deception inherent in the New Age Religion and that is the worship of self. This is in fact the ultimate blasphemy against God when men who are created by God, elevate themselves to the position of God and worship themselves. This is idolatry in it’s extreme form, when the creature (i.e. the created being) is worshipped rather than the Creator – God.
Warnings from the Bible
Here is a warning from 2 Timothy 3:3-5
“But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents,ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.”
And another from Romans 1:18-24
“The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles. Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.”
The Real Dangers of New Age Deception
Here are some examples of the dangers that those who dabble in the new age face.
- Deep self-delusion
- Rejection of Jesus Christ
- False happiness and contentment
- Demonic Possession
- Physical/Mental/Emotional breakdowns
- Love of Untruth and Abominations
- Family disintegration
- Making wrong life-decisions
- More frustration and discontentment in life
- Committing immoral acts
- Performing Scripturally forbidden practices
- Facing eternal judgement in the Lake of Fire (Hell)
The Bible says that today is the day of salvation. God extends his free gift of salvation to all who receive Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour. It is a free gift that is based on the righteousness of Christ and not our own. No one can therefore claim that they are good enough to merit salvation because all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. That is why Jesus died for the sin of humanity so that he could make a perfect sacrifice that would be acceptable to God for all time. No one can escape God’s wrath against those who are godless and who reject Him. But because God loves His creation, it is not his desire that any should perish but that all should inherit eternal life. It’s your choice, and it’s free.
John 3: 3-21
3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”
5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.
6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’
8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
9 “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.
10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things?
11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony.
12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?
13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.
14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,
15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.
20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.
21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.